Monday, February 11, 2008

An Ode to a Balaclava




Ice and snow


cover my world,


the world I love to trod.




I layer my clothes -


first the sweat pullers,


then the sweat takers,


then the windbreakers.




My socks are wool


my boots are thick


As the column of mercury dips.




It's 20 or 30 below.


below that ominous mark -


below that Fahrenheit zero.




But no worry have I -


I look forward to outside -


cuz I have my cold weather hero.




Oh balaclava, Oh balaclava,


protector of body heat.


Oh balaclava, oh balaclava,


I think you are so neat.




You cover my head, my neck and my ears


And leave me some room to see.


You make me so comfy in ice and in wind,


I can walk or sled or ski!




Thank you to whomever invented the balaclava. Mine is made of a great polpropylene and I start out with just the eyes exposed but even in 40 below, after you're moving a while, you have to pull the opening down under your chin because it gets too hot. I wear a woolen knit hat over it for ultra warmth and to take away that bald look. Thanks to my two furry friends for modeling the balaclava.

No comments: