Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another Perk of Aging




Aging is pretty well disdained in our culture.  Grey hair and wrinkles are hidden from sight as long as possible.  Money buys new body parts, new teeth, new knees and new hips.  But aging is fun too as far as I'm concerned.  One thing that I didn't expect was the feeling of understanding so much more.  One area where this wisdom shines through is the deeper, wider appreciation of children.  I see and appreciate children so much more than I did when I was younger.  Oh, I loved our children dearly and would have died for any of them if necessary but I never had the perspective that comes from moving through the stages of life.  Part of it, I'm sure, is the fact that in retirement there is so much more time to sit back and observe and think instead of rushing about trying to keep the family fed and clothed and all the juggled balls in the air.  I now have seen our children and the children of family and friends grow from darling infants into capable adults.  I've seen those babies bring forth babies of their own.  I've seen how each little child is so much an individual - each a very unique soul and full of so much potential.  I understand the cycle of life so much more after moving through most of the stages.  Now when I'm privileged to go help out at our son and daughter-in-law's day care, I marvel at the thought that each of the little beings in attendance will someday be the parents and then the grandparents and, God willing, the great grandparents.  Each of these little personalities will grow and learn and hopefully make the world a better place for having been here.  Their journey is just beginning and each journey will be unique.  If only our world would unite in the task of insuring that every child would have a kind and joy filled journey................The pictures are of the beautiful clematis on our wall and some beautiful children.  Look at their faces and try to imagine what they will be as adults.

No comments: